Brief History of CERN ( The European Organization for Nuclear Research )

History of cern

The European Organization for Nuclear Research, which is also known as CERN, is an international organization that was established in the year 1954 in the North Western suburbs of Geneva on the Franco – Swiss border. CERN has total 20 European states as member. The sole purpose of CERN is to operate the world’s largest particle physics laboratory. Often the term CERN is also used to refer to the laboratory that employs around 2,400 full-time employees, around 1,500 part-time employees and have nearly 10,000 visiting scientists and experts in respective fields and nevertheless the laboratory have to represent at least 608 Universities as well as research facilities and must have 113 nationalities.

Behind the formation of CERN there is a long history which has supported the existence of the entire concern. There are several functions that CERN perform. The main function that the organization is responsible to provide is the particle accelerators and several other infrastructures for high energy physical research. So it is beyond doubt that many experiments at CERN are almost all international collaborations. The factor that most if the people are unsure about is, the birthplace of WWW (World Wide Web) is also CERN. WWW was made to facilitate researchers across the globe to access several useful data’s and information’s.

It was in the year 1954, September 29th, the convention with the will to establish CERN was approved by 12 countries in the Western part of the Europe. Often people wonder what CERN stands for, it has actually a French name, which is “Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire”, which is  better known as “European Council for Nuclear Research” in English. The provisional council for setting up the laboratory that was responsible to establish by the 12 European Governments earlier in the year 1952. Later as the initial provisional council was suspended, the name changed to, “Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire” (European Organization for Nuclear Research) in 1954. The acronym for the organization often sounds weird as it should have been OERN, but the former director was in favor of keeping the acronym same as earlier even when the name of the concern changed.

As soon as the laboratory established, the experiments started. The work started beyond the study of the atomic nucleus into higher-energy physics, but the work at CERN is completely dedicated with the study if interactions between the particles.  Presently the number of members of CERN laboratories are increasing. The laboratories operated by the international concern is commonly known as the “European Laboratory for Particle Physics” that better describes all the research that are carried out at CERN.

Share This:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *