Microsoft Corporation has been the leader in Operating Systems for Personal Computers for a very long time. Windows Vista is one of the series of operating systems provided by Microsoft under its flagship brand Windows. It was released worldwide on 30th January 2007. It was completely developed on 8th November 2006 and released to manufacturer in a phased manner over the next 3 months. It succeeded Windows XP which was launched in 2001. This was the longest gap between the releases of 2 versions of Microsoft Windows. It was succeeded by Windows 7 in 2007.
Windows Vista received a good response. It sold 20 million copies within the first month.
Minimum Hardware requirement
· 800 MHz processor
· 512 MB RAM
· HDD capacity of 40 GB
· 15 GB of HDD Free space
Vista Premium Ready
· 1 GHz processor
· 1 GB RAM
· HDD capacity of 80 GB
· 15 GB of HDD free space
Microsoft Vista was launched in 6 editions.
· Windows Vista Ultimate
· Windows Vista Home Basic
· Windows Vista Starter
· Windows Vista Business
· Windows Vista Home Premium
· Windows Vista Enterprise
· Windows Aero – It introduced translucency effects, live thumbnails, window animations.
· Windows Vista Standard – It did not have the glass effects, live thumbnails , window animations that were present in Aero
· Windows Vista Basic
· Windows Standard
· Windows Search was introduced through Vista. Instant search which was also called search as you type quickened file searching.
· AERO is the acronym for Authentic Energetic Reflective and Open. It was the new graphical user interface introduced in Vista. It was aesthetically more pleasing than previous Windows versions. Live icons, live thumbnails and animations made it a visual delight.
· Windows photo gallery which allowed importing photographs from digital cameras, tagging them, adjusting colours and exposures.
· Administrators could control and restrict the activities of the user. One could control the websites, programs and games that a user could access.
· One could send and receive fax on the computer using the Windows Fax and Scan. Scanning of documents was also possible.
· With the help of the DVD maker one could make a DVD with titles, menus, soundtrack, video/ It also allowed to user pan and zoom effects on pictures or slides.
· Outlook Express was replaced by Windows Mail.
· The user could place desktop gadgets on the Windows sidebar. Desktop gadgets are applets which have been designed for a special purpose such as getting the latest scores or weather reports.